May 8 - 14, 2016

1. Internet Explorer - Blackness and the Meme Cycle
Modes of transmitting media are evolving very quickly, and media itself is changing as a result. Cultural commodities like Vine videos or Snapchat stories would have been laughable a generation ago, but like it or not these are both things that permeate the zeitgeist.  While consumers do not necessarily exchange capital for these products, the creators are often compensated by promotional deals.  But, much in the way black musicians had their music appropriated by white musicians in the middle of the last century (and I'm guessing there are a lot of other examples of this as well), there seems to be some kind of misappropriation emerging where black content creators have their material repackaged and resold by white creators without consent. Internet Explorer tones back its typically vulgar style to examine this issue, and it has piqued my interest in hearing more about this. Oh, and it provides the best dissection of the well known "Bedroom Intruder" video, finally providing justification of my long-held belief that this is more sad than funny.

2. This American Life - Who Do We Think We Are (#585)
"I learned what it was like to love somebody, but not forgive them."  This episode was stirring and powerful and kind of hard to take at times.  I'm rather at a loss to go into detail about a show where the main story is about genital mutillation, though I will say the legacy of a shifting cultural understanding within a family is in itself worthy of hearing.  But of course there is so much more. This made me feel pretty lame about how relatively little I discuss intimate things with my parents, but I guess I haven't exactly had the kind of experience that would warrant such disscussion.

3. Slate's Culture Gabfest - Who Brought The Chardonnay Edition?
Key & Peele's first feature film, music listening as meaning, and the gendering of book clubs?  There is something for everyone here, and everything for someone if that person is me.  I want to explore in depth the abundance of meaning created by the mode of my listening habits, and very badly want to join a book club to read a vast swath of literature.  And the transition of a brilliant sketch duo to the big screen certainly held my attention - that journey between mediums is something that is not often explored.  While it may not necessarily always top my list, the Culture Gabfest is one of the podcasts where I cannot miss an episode.

4. The Longest Shortest Time - There's No Place That's Home (#82)
Some people lead extraordinary lives that breed envy, and others lead lives that, while amazing, leave me with no jealousy whatsoever. The ridiculous life of Christina Tracey, who travels as a makeup artist with the touring production of Wicked, falls into the latter category.  It would be one thing if this enterprise was done solo, but the insanity is heightened by the fact that Christina is married and has a child - both of whom follow her on the road (one works as a sound engineer, the other works primary in the medium of crayon and iPad and, presumably, is not on the shows payroll).  I can't imagine loving anything enough to uproot my life every 10 days or so, and that is precisely what makes this such a compelling listen.  That, and the pondering of how this child will remember his life child, when home is constantly shifting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 11, 2018

July 7, 2019

November 5, 2018