June 19 - 25, 2016

1. Invisibilia - The New Norm
Invisibilia is back and didn't miss a beat.  This is, in my opinion, is the pinnacle of podcasting excellence, hitting all the notes that hook me in and create an hour's worth of content that breezes by in what feels like an instant.  "The New Norm" features stories delving into the emotional scaffolding behind the spread of a massive fast food chain and the masculine underpinnings that caused a high rate of accidents on an oil rig...until someone picked in apart.  The multi-cultural angle on this episode made me think that this show has endless subject matter and could run infinitely.  May we all be so lucky to have it do so.

2. This American Life - Tell Me I'm Fat (#589) 
As the show is wont to do, this episode of TAL provoked thought on perceptions that American culture may take for granted. "Tell Me I'm Fat" focuses in on how we view beauty and weight, daring to ask the question 'Is it OK to be fat?'  I really appreciated hearing the voice of someone who is too large to find clothes in any store, and just in general it made me more conscientious about the irony of a majority being marginalized. The only stone left unturned was the idea of eating healthy and exercising semi regularly.  Regardless of physical appearance, your body needs both of these things and aesthetics shouldn't negate the presence for either. From the other end of the weight spectrum I know it is hard when the input doesn't necessarily correlate with the output (I eat carelessly and don't exercise like I should, but since my body doesn't reflect these habits my behavior remains the same). It's not the responsibility of TAL to investigate this side of the issue, but I would kind of expect this added layer of depth from such a well respected journalistic entity. Perhaps some of the books referenced on this episode explore that in some way.

3. Code Switch - I Don't Know If I Like This, But I Want It To Win
"Rep sweats" is a phrase I'd never heard, but instantly understood when Code Switch brought it to my attention.  In this context, it refers to worrying about supporting a diverse TV show even if it doesn't meet the artistic standards of the best shows.  On a completely separate and far less important level, I can relate to seeing a play or movie with themes I love to see represented in popular culture.  When one of these works is simply not well written or produced, I still somehow want it to succeed to gain clout and pave the way for other works around a similar motif.  CS explores this conflict in an excellent profile of a cultural critic whose son stars in "Fresh Off the Boat" - the first tv show with a primarily Asian cast in 20 years.  Is it more principled to write an accurate review of a piece of art, or to ignore those tenets that connote quality in hopes that good press will yield more opportunities to see people of color on screen?

4. On the Media - White Trash' and Class in America
Class is SO important and SO often excluded from the news and media.  Leave it to OTM to produce a brilliant podcast extra on the topic, in concert with the posturing of a billionaire who uses rhetoric to position himself as a hero to the marginalized working class.  I really hope there is more coverage from OTM and other outlets as this election cycle ramps up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 11, 2018

July 7, 2019

November 5, 2018