August 7 - 13, 2016

1. More Perfect - The Imperfect Plaintiffs
Radiolab has a spin-off podcast, and it is all about the mysterious role the Supreme Court plays in the shaping of policy and discourse in America.  This is the first episode I've heard, though all 6 episodes in the first season have now been released.  It seems like this could be a good entry point for those not necessarily interested in politics to see the deep reaching impact of legislation on daily life.

2. Placemakers - The Cheerful Hurly-Burly
When Rebecca Sheir signed off Metro Connection for the final time last year, I was distraught.  There was promise of a revamped show after some time off for reflection, but I knew deep down that it would never be back.  Imagine my delight when I found that Sheir is now at the helm of a new Slate podcast about the people who shape communities from a planning perspective.  Of course the first episode is about urbanist hero Jane Jacobs, and I think it does a good job showcasing the mixed reactions to Jacobs through the ages.

3. Revisionist History - Generous Orthodoxy
I knew Malcolm Gladwell had some sort of tie to Canadian Mennonites, but never thought that would result in a podcast about the group.  The story about Chester Wenger is really about the way we remain true to ourselves while bending to accommodate the world around us.  I happened to read this excellent piece of writing shortly after hearing the episode, and it made me think about how being disciplined need not mean being exclusive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 11, 2018

July 7, 2019

November 5, 2018